CBIS 4010038
See & Do See & do Churches

Sottunga church - S:ta Maria Magdalena

Sottunga wooden chapel is also first mentioned in 1544, in connection to the confiscations by Gustavus Vasa, but it is obvious that the chapel has medieval roots. During the Great Northern War (1714-21) between Sweden and Russia, the chapel burnt down, and after the homecoming of the inhabitants of the islands who had escaped the enemy, it was noted that the altarpiece was destroyed together with the entire chapel. Luckily the foe did not get hold of the money ches, and a new church was built by 1730.